This is what the Chrysler TorqueFlite transmission is
The Torqueflite was created from the Chrysler Corporation, starting in 1956 with a three speed transmission.
Prior to the Torqueflite was Chrysler's two-Speed Powerflite.
Production of the Torqueflite was from 1956 to 2007.
The first Torqueflight was operated with push-buttons.
Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN) Number
Starting in 1969 the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) was applied to engine blocks and Transmission case's of each vehicle.
The result of the Federal Government Anti-Crime Law. The number can be found on a pad on the driver's side of the case just above the pan rail.
An "R" stamped before the serial number suggested a replacement transmission.
Facts and Specifications on Chryslers Early A-727 Torqueflite Transmissions
Below i have listed a bullet list of interesting facts on Chryslers most popular transmission,the A-727 TorqueFlite
- Rear Pump Models of the A-727 Torqueflite were produced from 1962 to 1965
- The 10,000 day calendar was used on some Transmission cases.
- The 10,000 day calendar began on July 29,1961 as 0001.
- There was a couple of ways the A-727 Torqueflite's were coded, one the 10,000 day calendar, the Box-Type Code, and the Wheel-Type date code.
- A-727 transmissions with the rear pump could be push-started and if the vehicle was towed the rear wheels could be placed on the ground for towing.
- The gear ratios for the A-727 Chrysler Torqueflite are 2.45 to one in low, 1.45 to one in second, one to one in high and 2.20 to one in reverse.
- The A-727 torqueflite had several engines that were used with the 727 torqueflite transmission- one was the Hemi,yes the Hemi-Small block Chrysler engines,the Slant six ,American Motors,and International Harvester(International Harvester was a company of Agricultural machinery ,commercial trucks, farm machinery and a lot more founded in 1902)
Names of the past of the 904 and 727 Torqueflite Transmissions
A-727 Chrysler TorqueFlite Bushing Interchange
|BUSHING|| MODEL YEAR|
| Front Pump|| 1962- and up|
| Front Clutch Retainer||1962-1970|
| Front Clutch Retainer|| 1971- and up|
|Reaction Shaft- Stator Support||1962-1966|
| Reaction Shaft- Stator Support|| 1967- and up|
| Input Shaft|| 1962- and up|
| Sun Gear, Front and Rear|| 1962- and up|
| Extension Housing|| 1962- and up|
A-727 Front Clutch Disc And Return Spring Usage Chart
# OF CLUTCH DISCS
# OF STEEL DISCS
# OF RETURN SPRINGS
Torque Specifications for Chrysler-Dodge-Plymouth A-727 Torqueflite transmissions
- Kickdown Band Screw locknut ( 1960-1971 )=====================29FT.-LBS.
- Kickdown Band Screw Locknut (1972-up )=======================35FT.-LBS.
- Low and Reverse Band Screw Locknut (1960-1971)=================35FT.-LBS.
- Low and Reverse Band Screw Locknut (1972-up)==================30FT.-LBS.
- Converter Drain Plug=====================================90 IN.-LBS.
- Flexplate to Crankshaft====================================55FT.-LBS.
- Transmission Extension Housing To Case=======================25FT.-LBS.
- Trans. Mount to Extension Housing (1960-1967)==================35FT.LBS.
- Trans. Mount to Extension Housing (1968-1972)==================40 FT.-LBS.
- Trans. Mount to Extension Housing (1973-up)====================50FT.-LBS.
- Crossmember to Frame Bolt (1960-1967)=======================75FT.-LBS.
- Crossmember to Frame Bolt (1968-up)=========================90 FT.LBS.
- Oil Pan Drain Plug=======================================15 FT.-LBS.
- Output Shaft Flange Nut===================================175FT.-LBS.
- Output Shaft Support to Case Bolt=============================150 in.-LBS.
- Transmission Case to Engine================================27FT.-LBS.
- Transmission Pan to Case==================================150 in.-LBS.
- Cooler Line Adapter Fittings to Case (1960-1968)==================75 in.LBS.
- Cooler Line Adapter Fittings To Case (1969-up)====================110 in.-LBS.
- Cooler Line Nut=========================================85 in.-LBS.
- Control Cable Adj. Wheel Bolt (1960-1965)=======================40 in.-LBS.
- Converter to Flexplate====================================270 in.-LBS.
- Front Pump to Case (1960-1967)=============================150 in.-LBS.
- Front Pump to Case (1968-up)===============================175 in.-LBS.
- Governor Body to Hub====================================100 in.-LBS.
- Kickdown Lever Shaft Plug=================================150 in.-LBS.
- Dip Stick Tube Bolt======================================150 in.-LBS.
- Pressure Test Plugs to Case (1963-1971)========================75 in.-LBS.
- Pressure Test Plugs to Case (1972-1979)========================110 in.-LBS.
- Reaction Shaft Support to Pump (1960-1969)=====================160 in.-LBS.
- Reaction Shaft Support to Pump (1970-up)=======================150 in.-LBS.
- Rear Pump Cover Bolt (1962-1965)============================140 in.-LBS.
- Valve Body Screws (1960-1967)==============================28 in.-LBS.
- Valve Body Screws (1968-up)================================35 in.-LBS.
- Valve Body to Case Bolt====================================100 in.-LBS
- Speedometer Drive Clamp Screw==============================100 in.-LBS.
- Parking Lock Lever Shaft Plug================================150 in.-LBS.
- Parking Sprag Cover Bolt===================================150 in.-LBS.
- Parking Lock Cable Locking Bolt==============================10 in.-LBS.
- Parking Lock Cover Plug===================================75 in.-LBS.
- Neutral Safety Switch=====================================24Ft.-LBS.
- Overrunning Clutch Cam Set Screw============================40 in.-LBS.
Thread Specifications for the A-727 TorqueFlite Transmissions
- Transmission Extension Housing to Case=========================3/8-16
- Trans. Mount to Extension Housing (1960-1967)==================7/17-14
- Converter Dust Cover=====================================1/4-20
- Output Shaft Support to Case Bolt (4 bolt )=======================5/16-18
- Output Shaft Support to Case Bolt (6 bolt )=======================1/4-20
- Transmission Case to Engine================================3/8-16
- Transmission Pan to Case==================================5/16-18
- Cooler Line Adapter Fittings to Case===========================1/8-NPT
- Control Cable Adj. Wheel Bolt===============================1/4-20
- Front Pump to Case======================================5/16-18
- Governor Body to Hub====================================1/4-20
- Kickdown Lever Shaft Plug=================================1/4-NPT
- Pressure Test Plugs to Case=================================1/8-NPT
- Reaction Shaft Support to Pump============================5/16-18
- Rear Pump Cover Bolt=====================================5/16-18
- Valve Body Screws========================================10-24
- Valve Body to Case Bolt====================================1/4-20
- Extension Housing Weight Threads===========================5/16-18
- Speedometer Drive Clamp Screw============================5/16-18
- Bell Housing to Engine Brace Threads=========================7/16-14
- Starter Bolt/Stud===========================================7/16-14
- Parking Sprag Cover Bolt====================================5/16-18
- Overrunning Clutch Cam Set Screw===========================1/4-20
**Internet Questions about Chrysler Transmissions Answered here**
Questions most asked about Chrysler Torqueflite Transmissions are asked and answered here below. Question number one:
- What year did the Chrysler aluminum A-904 torqueflite come out? Answer-1960
- What year was the heavy duty version of the a-727 Torqueflite introduced? Answer-1962
- Was there any parts interchangeable between the Transmissions? Answer- Yes there were many interchangeable components between the 904/727 transmission families. The only major component that will interchange between families is the valve body-calibration is different
- Is there any other name the Torqueflite is referred to?? Answer-yes when used in light trucks the Torqueflite was referred to as the "LoadFlite".Also in AMC(American Motor Corporation) these transmissions were referred to as the Torque Command.