Rust Prevention for your car
Rust is an overwhelming problem for those of us who restore antique cars & trucks. But thankfully it's not that bad of a problem with today's automobiles.
If you have performed any kind of body work on old school rides, chances are the majority of your work was conquering rust problems.
Thankfully that is not a problem in the south. So here are some tips to help keep your vehicle free from rust.
These tips on how to prevent your automobile from rust can be used on all vehicles.
three drain holes under driver side door.
Rust prevention Tips for your car
Listed below are some of my tips to you. If you have have some yourself please lets us know in the Members blog.<<<<
- Wash your vehicle weekly. Making sure to wash inside the wheel wells. Try your best to at least clean the undercarriage of the vehicle.
- For Nix & scratches use touch up paint to prevent rusting.
- Make sure you wax and use a paint sealant to protect your cars paint. Chalky dead paint will soon bring about surface rust.
- Be sure to always clean dirt and debris from drain holes on your car. Each vehicle will be different so it may take some time to find drain holes at the bottom of doors, around the cowl and other areas like a sunroof.
Drain plugs under trunk of car
This drain plug is located under the rocker panel of a Nissan car.
Drain plug located in car trunk under mat
Undercoating to keep down rust
- Obviously there would be no reason to remove these drain plugs from your car unless flooding has occurred. If these plugs were removed from most of the 60's muscle cars that sat outside in fields and pastures most of them would have been saved from rust.